Friday, September 6, 2013

Hot Corn Dip


I have been loving my Crop Share from Nalls Produce. In this week’s crate, I was pleasantly surprised to see corn on the cob. I have no idea how they got their hands on corn on the cob in January, but I am thankful that they did. It felt like a little bit of August in 20 degree weather. I don’t know about where you are, but it is freezing here. This girl has not had to wear a coat in years, and as much as I love winter, I was ill-prepared for cold weather. I had to buy gloves and mittens and hats in bulk yesterday. On a side note – have you noticed that gloves and mittens are even harder to keep together than socks? I did not know that was possible. Thank goodness for Target, we should have matches from now until spring.
So, when I saw corn in my crate, I knew immediately what I had to make with it. I have been seeing a corn dip floating around Pinterest, and knew that I needed to make it to go along with the enchiladas verdes that I was making over the weekend. I found this recipe, and made a few changes. Instead of mayo, I used cream cheese. I also used more corn than the recipe called for, but it was because I could not let a kernel go to waste. This dip is so simple to prepare, and everyone loved it. Next time, I might add a little crumbled bacon to the mix, I think that a little smokiness would be so good in this. Perfect for Super Bowl Sunday!
 1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 Tablespoon jalapeno, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
chopped tomatoes
chopped green onions
chopped cilantro
tortilla chips

 Put the cream cheese, jalapeno, garlic powder, chipotle powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.

 Mix together until well combined.

 Add the corn. Love having fresh corn in the middle of winter.
 Mix until everything is combined.
 Add 2 cups of the cheese and stir until combined.


 Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. (I was making one for later in the day and one for pictures a snack.) Pour corn into pan and top with remaining cheese.
 Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and it is hot all the way through.

 Top with chopped tomatoes, sliced green onions, and cilantro. Serve with chips.

 source: yummly

No comments:

Post a Comment